Posted By Carolyn on November 16, 2010
This gloomy weather reminds me I need to weatherize my home for winter. Here are some tips for you to help save $$ and keep your home safe from the winter weather headed our way.
- Have your furnace serviced by a professional each and every year and keep the filters clean. Change your furnace filter every 30-60 days.
- Take the hose off of the exterior hose bibs to prevent them from freezing and bursting.
- Clean your gutters to prevent debris from holding water and making your gutters break/ fall off when that water freezes.
- Air penetration is one of the biggest energy suckers in your home. Install winterization seal/ a weather strip around your doors- available at any home improvement store. Also, close your fireplace flue when not in use.
- Compact florescent bulbs can save you money on your energy bill throughout the year- start replacing your burnt out incandescent bulbs with CFL’s.
- Open your blinds to let the sunlight in- it can help save money on heating your home during the day.
- Install a programmable thermostat and use it. Did you know that turning your thermostat down by just 3 degrees when you are not home can help reduce your energy bill by as much as 10%?
- Set your hot water heater temperature to 120 degrees. Any warmer is just a waste of energy.